09 January 2006

Tracey Twins

I first heard them live at a political rally at Euclid Beach Park in the fall of 1956 the year of their biggest hit record "Tonight You Belong to Me."


(this copy selling on ebay) Posted by Picasa

at the time the Billy Rose song was 30 years old. it was first a hit for Gene Austin in 1927. but another sister team made it a new hit. Reserve Records did a cover with the Tracey Twins who were from Cleveland. so on northern Ohio radio stations we heard their version rather than the other. 8 years later actor George Maharis titld one of his albums after the song. & it had a new life when Steve Martin & Bernadette Peters performd it in "The Jerk."

born Eudice & Eunice Margolis   the twins startd singing & tapdancing before audiences at 4 & were Cleveland favorites. I cdn't find a download of "Tonight You Belong to Me" but there are snippets of other recordings online.

as a teenager I was smitten by the twins. I met them & kept in touch over the years. here I am with them in my backyard in the summer of 1984:



the last time I saw them perform was in Chagrin Falls in 1990. in the last few years Eudi has begun a new career as an actress in indie films.

Eudi & Euni celebrate their birthday today & I send them best wishes.

5 comments:

Regality said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Regality said...

No wonder you were "smitten." You look as if you could have been their big brother! Interestingly, Patience and Prudence recorded the song in that same year and I think that's the version I remember.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with Amy and Andrew Silberman (Eudice's children). Amy and I were in school from kindergarten through high school graduation together. Sadly, she was killed in a freak accident in New Orleans (someone shot a celebratory bullet into the air half a mile, or more, away and it came down to earth via Amy's head). Eudi was one of the nicest mom's I knew, as a kid. Kind, fun, pretty, inviting. They took me to temple with them, we took Amy to church with us. It was a rich time, the 60s and 70s in Shaker Heights.

I miss Amy. We were both living in Boston at the time of her death and had just connected there, planning to get together after the holidays. We never got the chance. One night, when I was very sad about her death, the Tracey Twins' version of the song featured in a car driving by in a dream and I woke enormously comforted.

Music has power. :) Thanks for that memory.

John B. Burroughs said...

I don't think I've ever heard the original - though I remember it from The Jerk.

Paul Stanley of Kiss wrote a song with the same title: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI04PWyrJSw

Anonymous said...

I knew someone who worked with Eudice Tracey in the early 2000s (2002-03 or '04) at Shaker Heights SAC (School Age Care) a before- and after-school program at Lomond Elementary School in Shaker Heights. Apparently, Eudice developed Alzheimer's and ended up having to quit her job.