13 January 2024

Tom Shales (1944-2024)



 another shock. in recent years I lost touch with Tom. but he was a meaningful person in my life.


film historian David H. Shepard introduced me to Tom & we had an immediate rapport. his wit & intelligence made him ever so likable. & at that time he was a cute twink as well. our flirtation didn't last long but our friendship grew. he of course became the best known television critic in the country. I believe he was the first tv critic to ever win the Pulitzer. with age he became a darker figure. but I can never forget laughing with him. the young Tom will forever be in my catalog of dear boys.

this is the only photo I have with him. it's not the best. & of course you don't even see my face. it was taken at the only Kennedy Center Honors I attended. & it was sweet Tom who got me a ticket because he knew how much I loved Stephen Sondheim who was being honord that nite.

No comments: