02 January 2022

readers

 I write for myself. but I also publish. which means I hope that someone else reads my work. in a few months it'll be 60 years since I publishd my first poem. & then there have been all the books. I rarely get reviewd & none of my works have been a bestseller. so I don't know if anyone cares if I write or not.

I postd a link to my last blog entry on Facebook. a man from Charleston SC by the name of Jerry Evans left this response:

    I discovered this book many years ago. It changed the way I journal. Thank you for this enduring gift.

I was overwhelmd. to receive this is heartwarming. it reminds me of a scene Ingrid Bergman had in "Inn of the Sixth Happiness." 

Jen-Ai: I am not attractive in that way. 

Capt. Lin Nan: Jen-Ai, don't you know you're beautiful? 

Jen-Ai: Once in her life, every woman should have that said to her. I thank you for being the one who said it to me.


thank you Jerry Evans.






3 comments:

DF.LoyE said...

Alex - I am obviously periodic in perusing, but I've been checking back here since you shared that amazing link to d.a. levy & Kent Taylor reading their work on Poetry Seminar with Jau Billera. I still fall out of my chair when i listen to that recording. I likely suffered a concussion when Kent reached out, last year, and I had the chance to hold a conversation - mostly listening to his amazing thoughts and memories.
Around the time you were in contact, you published Elyria, and i grabbed a copy, and then found you, here.
There is a woman, out there in California, that has downloaded everything i've written. Because she did, i kept putting what i wrote where she was grabbing it: A single person that seemed to have an interest in what i was doing - i don't even know if she actually read any of it...
This is to say, I appreciate you, and you've become one of my Cleveland Guys. I mention that little tidbit because I'm just one oldish guy that stumbled into all of you out of a miserable experience, and you all have been a life boat, ever since. That is: I care that you write.
Arroyo Chamisa: Poems Rescued from a Blog is ordered. I'm looking forward to it.

Alex Gildzen said...

thank you. it's good to hear from you again. & good to know someone is following yr work. altho I feel we write first for ourselves it's always gratifying to someone out there is reading.

DF.LoyE said...

for sure - write to work through what's roiling in the cranium. Appreciate yours and others that share the experience.