13 May 2021

masks

 when Kent State University was establishing its fashion museum I was the acting curator. I was thinking abt that today as the CDC announces that for the most part masks are no longer required. I was thinking that if I were still curator of a costume collection I'd begin immediately collecting the best of masks.

altho their primary use was a practical one that preventd infection many used them as a fashion statement. even significant designers creatd masks. they are an important part of our history & they are apparel. they deserve a place in museums.




Chicago designer Rex Booth created this mask

using fabric designd by Kaffe Fassett



Palm Springs designer Cesar Julio made one of my earliest ones




this is a more recent Julio design


2 comments:

Bill Fogle said...

Just stopping in to say Hi. I was reading about the Chateau Marmont and wondered how you are doing (always think of that photo! ha-ha!). From the pics, looks like you are going strong! What a famous blog you have, almost like the Ned Rorem diaries. xo

Alex Gildzen said...

I answerd via e-mail yr other recent comment here but for some reason just saw this as well.

so good to hear from you Bill.