12 February 2016

Alicia Metcalf Miller

I don't get a newspaper.  so I just learnd of her death this morning.



Alicia was a member of Kent State University's board of trustees who was a particular friend & supporter of Special Collections. in her foreward to 25 Years she wrote:

Kent's Special Collections, particularly in poetry, theater, and children's literature, reflects an unusual level of wisdom and taste.  Largely responsible for that are its two curators, Dean H. Keller (1968-83) and Alex Gildzen (1984-93).

For more than good caretakers, these two men have nudged, cajoled, even wrestled the collection into its current, very appealing shape. They have practiced sleight-of-hand, dogged willfulness, and charming persuasion, guided always by a clear-eyed vision of what Kent's Special Collections is and might be. Conquering obstacles that would have stymied fainter hearts, they have maintained that vision with considerable discernment. loyalty, and wit.

Alicia was also supportive of my move to Santa Fe where she & her husband Bill quickly establishd themselves as model citizens following their move from Chagrin Falls.

friendships ebb & tide. somewhere along the way Alicia & I stoppd seeing each other. but today I remember a time at her house when I was reading out loud to her adorable mother Maudwynn from Alicia's first novel. quietly Alicia approachd from somewhere & gave me a hug. the look in her eyes then is what I'm thinking of now.

No comments: