09 April 2015

a reunion

for years I've been looking for this photo. it shows two leading ladies of the silent era meeting for the first time in more than 40 years.




that's Lois Wilson on the left with May Allison. the photo was taken on the Kent State University campus in spring of 1973.  Lois was in town to appear as Mary's mother in the University Theater production of "The Women."  she had playd Mary years before in the national tour. so I suggestd to the Kent director that he cast her as a guest star. Miss Allison had been living in nearby Cleveland for years.

the original photograph must exist in the files of the University News Service. this copy isn't so good because it's a scan taken from the back cover of The Silent Picture (no. 18). I didn't remember I had a copy but discoverd it while culling stacks of ancient periodicals.

& during that same visit here I am watching Lois sign the library's copy of the poster for "The Women" which proudly hung in the Special Collections reading room during my tenure as curator.




No comments: