05 June 2006

thx Steve

when I was a boy going to the movies with my best friend T.R. Queen we both had our fave stars. & mostly they were predictable. but even then I had a passion for "minor" characters. one of them was Leigh Snowden. the blonde first came to my attention when she wow'd the sailors at San Diego naval base on Jack Benny's holiday show in dec of 1954. she was 25 & I was 11. her career as Universal-International's answer to Mariyln only lastd abt 3 years. soon after marrying accordionist Dick Contino she traded soundstages for motherhood. she died in 1982. Contino lives in Las Vegas & performs from time to time. James Ellroy wrote a short book abt him.

the reason I bring this up is that Steve Tills has postd the picture he took of me with a poster of Leigh in "Hot Rod Rumble." it was the day Steve & I met. he's a golfer & wantd to see Firestone Country Club. as long as we were in Akron I suggestd visting Quaker Square. & in a shop there was the poster.

so now every time I see a Leigh Snowden movie I'll also think of Steve.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Well, that's a really cute site for the info about Leigh Snowden. Great senses of humour there:

"I've Lived Before is an odd little drama some of us actually remember seeing in its first run way back in...well, never mind that. Anyway, we do remember that it was about reincarnation. Jock Mahoney (Sally Field's real-life stepdad) was trying to convince poor Ann Harding that he was the reincarnation of her dead lover. Ann wasn't at all amused and didn't believe him. Considering the anguished look poor Leigh Snowden has on her face in the photo above, it seems like we ought to remember her part in the drama too, but we don't. Maybe she's trying to recall at least one of her own past lives. Maybe she's trying to remember her next line. Or maybe she's remembering what it was like kissing Ralph Meeker in Kiss Me Deadly. Boy, you can really tell when we have absolutely nothing to say about a movie, can't you?"

And actually the pic of Snowden, "anquished," is priceless.
Wow, what an expression with those eyebrows!

Eleven years old in 1954! Get out!
No way! I am totally amazed!

Very bests and affections,

Steve :)