06 January 2005

Walter's Cafe

finding Bob's memoir put me into a googling frenzy. I rediscoverd Patrick Cullie who now lives only a state away.

& on the site for the Numbers Band was this photo (a sly retelling of DaVinci's "Last Supper") taken at Walter's:



you don't see that much of the place but it was enuf to fire my memory. Gary Lockwood ran it. in daylight it was a restaurant. Mary Ann Begland & I took Ira Joel Haber there for lunch on one of his visits from Manhattan. I remember the bean soup.

but let it get dark & it became a smoky bar. when shadows fell I often found myself walking to town & ending up there. I'd chat with the 2 members 15 60 75 I knew -- Bob Kidney & Terry Hynde. they playd next door & came to Walter's between sets. & I'd run into folks like Gene Gant & Craig Lucas. Jake Leed & I gave a reading there in 1981.

that was my noir period. the rum was the worst in town but it was cheap & I drank it till closing. I was a bum then & stumbld appropriately. I sd things I don't remember & probably did things best forgotten. & even tho it wasn't always a pleasant time in my life it was a time in my life. so I remember Walter's for the good parts & realize that the not-so-good parts were a road I had to take.

No comments: