03 May 2010

50 years ago today

"The Fantasticks" opend at Sullivan Street Theater for its record-breaking run.

I first heard the Jones-Schmidt musical on the original cast recording. I no longer recall who brought it to the office of the Daily Kent Stater in Merrill Hall. but we playd it over & over.

then in early may of 1963 David Freeman -- who wd become a celebratd playwright & screenwriter -- did a campus production. my friend Duane Hartzell was David's assistant. Ron Policy was a dashing El Gallo & Jamie L. Brown was the old actor. my fellow DKS journalists joind me to see it several times during its short run in University Auditorium. altho memory fades   I recall this as one of my happiest times sitting in a theater.

it's been some time since I've seen a production so I don't know how it holds up. it was the simplest of shows. & I suspect having been so young was a factor in my liking it so. but I'm happy that it was in my life when it was.

6 comments:

Bill Fogle said...

Gary's favorite musical, favorite show, favorite anything! (I've never seen it.)

Alex Gildzen said...

listening to original cast recording now. ghost voices of Kenneth Nelson & Jerry Orbach.

cinemage books said...

I saw it I guess in 1968. Don't recall who was in it at the time, maybe you can find out for me. I loved it at the time.

Alex Gildzen said...

Lortel Archives online lists replacement casts but not the years.

one of yr faves Philip Baker Hall playd one of the fathers for a while.

Stephen said...

Although I am not absolutly carzy about it, it is the show I have dome the most productions- 5, starting in high school. I have played all the male roles exceot for El Gallo (I can't imagine why I never get cast as the baritone lead).
I am not making this up... I played the old actor in a production, in high school, at a Catholic Girl's School. The Nuns changed the Fathers to Mothers, & they were so offended by the RAPE song, that they changed the word-rape to SNATCH. Really.

Alex Gildzen said...

Stephen -- you went to a Catholic girls school? hmmmmmmm......

& a song abt "snatch" is hysterical.