17 December 2004

The Death-Defying Judy Henske

there aren't many broads left. PC saw to that. thankfully Judy Henske never subscribd to that nonsense.

when I got back from fondling an Academy Award Henske's new CD was in my mail with a note from the lady herself asking if I was still writing. it's been some time since I dedicatd "Twenty Sonnets Bound in Gold" to Henske & she's probably wondering why the hell I haven't written anything for her lately.

she blastd her way into my life when I went to college. one of those tv shows specializing in folk singers. sure.... that may have been her way in but she never fit the Baez mold. she did some folk & some rock & some jazz & some stand-up. there was no one like her. she was bawdy & had a honytonk voice that cd break yr heart one minute & melt yr fillings the next. without Henske there wd have been no Janis Joplin     no Bette Midler.

back in the '60s Woody Allen was Henske's opening act at the Village Gate. there are those who say that the inspiration for Annie Hall is more Henske than Diane Keaton. Henske made a movie & did an Anita Loos musical off-Broadway.

the only time I saw her live was in the fall of 1965. La Cave in Cleveland. she'd introduce a song with a long sometimes surreal story. those who know me know when I'm in an audience because of my laugh. that nite the laugh was in overdrive. while others were chuckling politely I was letting loose. & Henske knew it. she startd looking straight into my eyes     directing her story at me. I've cherishd that memory for almost 40 years now.

Henske became part of a group (Rosebud) before sort of disappearing. if you were careful you knew she was still writing songs. but they were for other singers. we now know that she was playing mom. but with the chick out of the nest she came back & boy did she ever come back. Loose in the World starts off with "Mad Dog Killer." it was as if she never left the building.

the new CD She Sang California has some new songs & some of her oldies. on a first listen I was thrown to the floor with "Western Wisconsin." she first record'd it in 1971. it was beautiful then. it's even more beautiful now. the voice is that of a woman who's had a life.

if you haven't heard Judy Henske -- shame on you. but there is a remedy. go to her site & order some records. for a virgin I'd suggest listening first to High Flying Bird. but be careful. when this broad gets you in her web you'll never get loose.

4 comments:

Alex Gildzen said...

Craig --

what a thrill to have you comment. for those who mite be reading this & don't know: Craig Doerge produces Judy's CDs. they write songs together. they sang in Rosebud together. & they're a couple.

& I had no idea you were from Cleveland. & to think that you met Judy at the same place where I saw her for the only time.... I mean my work is all abt connections but that one's too much.

anyway let me know where you're appearing next year. that'll be the 40th anniversary of that nite at La Cave. seems like time for a fricking reunion to me.

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
D.R. Wagner said...

A lovely exchange on your Henske article. I too spent a bit of a time at La Cave while in Cleveland. I missed seeing Henske but connected with her work early on and didn't know she continued to record. I will certainly buy the newer work.
I had an interesting encounter at La Cave. I hit on Judy Collins one evening. I loved her singing and voce and hung around to talk to her. She turned me down but many years later I met her again and told her the story. She was amused and asked me, "Was I polite?" I thought it was a very sweet comeback to such a comment.

Alex Gildzen said...

what a sweet memory D.R.