11 November 2004

R.B. Sprague

my friend Roger had an opening tonite. but it was at a gallery outside Seattle. at one time we thot we'd make it up there but it didn't happen. I felt the least we cd do was dine out. so we went to a new cajun restaurant calld Gator Alley. I had a taste of chicken gumbo then crawfish etouffee. Roger did catfish with shrimp jambalaya. dessert was gooey hot brownies with ice cream.

I came home with the intention of writing abt Roger's new paintings. I tried to present something profound abt his use of interiors & exteriors but when I startd writing abt the windows in his new skyscrapers as eyes I knew it was time to hit the pillows & leave that to the critics.



2 comments:

Steve said...

Oh, MAN! Absolutely Gorgeous!

Those plush colors are for me so alluring, it's crazy.

Well, I'll make my one tiny not-trying-to-be-pretentious-but comment, too, that this reminds me of Edward Hopper cityscapes and the plush beige and brown and grays that painter used. Probably I'm off the mark, and I must be the first to admit that although I try sometimes to "study" art, I'm always still only in the "I know what I like" school of art appreciation.

Well, I do like this one, dang it, so I'll say that loud and clear. Perhaps someday I can afford a print.
Tis beautiful, Alex! And you are blessed to have such a gifted artist friend like Roger Sprague. :)

Steve said...

Wow, Again! I just looked through the exhibit and the other paintings being shown. Again, this is "color" that just completely melts me. Ah, those special reds and oranges (often my favorite colors, but espcially again the light browns, creams, and beiges).

For me the simple lines and shapes and these colors exude a clarity and, again, a soft, plush tone that I find enormously calming and narcotic. I could easily surround all the walls of large room with these and they would relax me and tranquilize me every day that I could get enough sunlight into the room to bring them out lusciously, as they deserve.

Oh, in some of them I want a luxurius brown-gray-blue in place of the rather "hurried" sky tones that he mixed in, but I suppose that very hurry-harriedness creates the very background/context against which, into which, through which the luxurious steady tones of the buildings' smoothnesses absorb one's anxiety and apprehension. Yeah, Calm.

Hats off to Roger Sprague!