07 August 2007

deja vu

it was august of 1967. the place was the Palace   once the nation's premiere vaudeville house. she came from the back of the theater & walkd down the aisle to the stage. the audience   full of more gay men than must've been on Fire Island that nite   went wild.

it was the only time I saw Judy Garland. she was electrifying.

40 years later. last nite Rufus Wainwright brought his tour to Santa Fe. he only did 3 numbers from his Judy tribute. but his channeling of her was amazing. if you haven't seen this tour I won't spoil his surprise. but if he comes to yr town   get a ticket.

3 comments:

Jean Vengua said...

Ah, but have you heard Jeff Buckley's cover of The Man that Got Away?

I like Rufus, though. I always wondered what "Grey Gardens" was about; it's one of my favorite songs.

Alex Gildzen said...

no I haven't heard the Buckley version. I'll try to find it Jean as you must try to find the doc "GG."

Jean Vengua said...

OK, I'll look for GG.

Buckley's cover of The Man Who.. etc. is on his live Mystery White Boy album. Although the sound quality is a bit uneven and the genres are all over the place, the CD is worth it just for MWGA, and his live covers of Nina Simone's Lilac Wine & L. Cohen's Hallelujah.