04 May 2007

"does anyone still wear a hat?"

when QE2 (the person not the vessel) arrivd in Virginia yesterday I thought of that Sondheim lyric. today one rarely sees an American woman wear a hat while the Brits delight in the custom. the queen had quite the creation on but it suits her. unlike that poor frump Mrs. Parker-Bowles who always wears the silliest millinery.

of course there was a time when American ladies wdn't be caught out on the town without a chapeau. just look at yr family albums. in fact that's where I found this period shot of my mother (on the right) with her sister Sophie.

2 comments:

Regality said...

I had the opposite reaction when I saw QE2. I wanted to shrinkydink that hat and give her a more flattering neckline on her outfit. She seems to me to be a cartoon of herself.

As for "does anyone still wear a hat?" Well, sorta: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&ned=&q=hats%20at%20the%20Kentucky%20Derby&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Oh, and my SO does--fedoras to protect his oh so exposed pate.

Alex Gildzen said...

"a more flattering neckline"? on the queen?? o dear. I don't want to go there.

as for men... I've always been a hat person. my fave is an Emerson Stroller originally purchasd at the Bell Co in my hometown of Elyria. not sure if it's 40s or 50s.