27 May 2013

Russ Thacker (1946-2012)

sometimes I wander around the net sans intention & learn all manner of new things. this afternoon I discoverd that this fine actor died 5 months ago.




I first saw him in summer stock opposite Gene Kelly in 1974.  the following year I saw him again opposite Yul Brynner in San Francisco. & in 1976 I saw him in summer stock opposite Vincent Price. but perhaps my happiest memory of him is on the original cast album of "The Grass Harp."

he had the kind of looks which cd melt me & the talent to be a much bigger star than he was. apparently he retired to Wilton Manors with his long-time partner John Olund. the local obit used his real name -- Aubrey Lee Thacker Jr.  either the national press faild to pick up notice of his passing or I was asleep thru the end of last year.  but on this Memorial Day when I always spend time thinking of lost ones I tip my hat to the handsome Mr. Thacker who gave me many pleasant moments over the years.

2 comments:

Covid Expat said...

I remember him fondly from his years at Music Circus in Sacramento. Once I was backstage and happened to mention to someone "the worst musical ever", and he said over my shoulder, "I was in it!" And indeed, we were both talking about "Odyssey," an Erich Segal musical which was a notorious flop. I had reviewed the show, and went back to see that I had praised him (in black wig, with purple and green stage lights) as Telemachus, as "the only good thing about the show."

Alex Gildzen said...

thx for sharing this. I saw him in that show too -- in San Francisco.