04 December 2006

Mae Clarke


Posted by Picasa

I took this picture of her in 1989 in Beverly Hills. film buffs will forever remember her as the grapefruit dame (see my recent poem). she was sd to have been the model for Lorelei Lee in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes." when they were girls   she & Barbara Stanwyck were co-stars on Broadway. at that time Missy believd Mae wd be the big star. but Stanwyck was still doing leads till shortly before her death while Clarke left the screen in bit parts.

for years I'd heard abt her performance in the first film version of "Waterloo Bridge"   directd by James Whale in 1931. I've never had access to a print till tonite when TCM broadcast the restored print. it shd be the film for which Mae Clarke is rememberd. she has one moment which is as beautiful a piece of screen acting as I've ever seen. she looks into a mirror   puts on a cloche   applies lipstick. simple as that. & yet it tells the character's entire story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw "Lady Killer" on TCM, and was very smitten with Mae Clarke. I googled her, and found several identical bios saying "for some reason" she stopped getting good parts. Very perplexing. Your picture of her was the only other thing I found. What a nice touching shot. It sort of explains some of it. She looks like she's wondering what happened, too. Anyhow, thank you for the pic, and nice "meeting" you.
Dan
Brooklyn

Anonymous said...

A natural born Actress Mae Clarke was sadly highly underrated just watch her filmography and you’ll be pleasantly surprised Rest Easy Mae🙏🏼😇✝️