14 July 2008

report on heat wave & the people's diva

a challenging week. weather was appalling. to wake & face 90 with the knowledge that it'll reach 112 is daunting. time with friends was good. but one day alone I sufferd a severe depression. I walkd miles & miles in the staggering heat. I walkd into neighborhoods I'm sure never see tourists. I walkd so much my toes blisterd   my calves throbbd.

but the reason I came to Las Vegas in july was to see Bette Midler. it's been 23 years since I last heard her perform live. the woman is as amazing as ever. she sings all her hits   tells the Soph jokes   reincarnates Delores Delago. backing her up are the Harlettes   14 chorus girls & a full on-stage orchestra. but it's Bette's show & she performs with ferocity temperd by tenderness. the Divine Miss M is a force of nature. altho her stellar career guarantees her a spot in the entertainment pantheon   this particular show cements her reputation as legitimate heir to the vaudeville greats of a century ago.

No comments: