03 October 2020

when a bench is more than a bench

 for the third time in nearly 7 months I walkd to town & back. & again it was to see art. outdoor art (so it's safe).  but this time it was personal.


Palm Springs Public Arts Commission has been sponsoring a project for artists to paint the concrete benches in the downtown area.  Emeline Tate -- with whom I collaborated on some small wall paintings -- suggestd that we work together again. so I wrote a new poem & she designd the bench.


this morning I left my house with the moon still in the sky & arrived almost a hour later at our bench in front of Trina Turk -- one of the city's most popular shops. within minutes Em drove in. she had paintd the whole bench white & only the yellow letters in the poem. while I photographd she went to work on more colors.  after the piece is finishd next week I'll post a photo.


this is a thrill for me. I love Palm Springs & this is my first city-sponsord project since becoming a resident. & of course I adore the idea of having so many people read my words.

















No comments: