09 December 2016

abt a brick

here is the first poem in my suite "Towns from Trains" :



            Barstow  CA


startld awake at 4 in the morning
I see from my window
arches of Casa del Desierto

"I must be in Spain"   I think
then turn over
to dream of Cordova

                                  
the reason I return to this 1997 piece is this:



my neighbor Estee Huff gave me this brick because we had a long discussion which involved among other things the Harvey Girls. an earthquake apparently shook loose some bricks from Casa del Desierto which was the Harvey House in Barstow.  they were sold to make money for the reconstruction. because of our conversation (& the brick in my atrium piece) she bought bricks for herself & me.

rarely do people respond to my work in such a creative way. I was moved by her insight & generosity.



No comments: