11 January 2016

David Bowie (1947-2016)



the Globes were so awful I went right to bed.  so I didn't learn of his death till I turnd on Facebook this morning.

I didn't know he was sick so this death was a particular shock.  Bowie was one of those artists from my long ago who kept growing & changing & creating. I no longer recall when I was first aware of him. but once his presence appeard he never left the stage.  one of the earliest mentions I can find was listening to him on Xmas of 1972 (as documentd in The Year Book).

there's no denying his importance as a musical figure. but he also had a significant acting career.  I remember being startld by him in "The Man Who Fell to Earth."  & I saw him on Broadway as a force in "The Elephant Man."

& now we see his majestic exit plan. my first viewing of "Lazarus" was both a punch in the gut & a hallelujah to an artist who knew how to depart.

No comments: