05 August 2006

T. R. Queen

today is the birthday of my friend Tom who died in 2002.



this picture was taken in Elyria the summer before he flunkd out of Kent State. I'd won the Freshman Writing Award. Tom then honord me with his own Wanderlush Award. it was named after Gloria Wanderlush   the heroine of one of his novels. this particular one was a spoof of Butterfield 8.

Tom & I were friends for an astounding 50 years. we met at Garford Elementary School & last saw each other at the Las Vegas airport weeks before his unexpectd death.

he was the funniest person I ever knew. we wd laugh till there were tears.

he gave up writing early on   painting too   & concentratd on collage & montage. he won numerous awards & if memory serves had work appear in an early issue of The Advocate. in 1981 I threw a party to mark James Dean's 50th birthday. unable to make the long flight from Nevada to Ohio   Tom sent me this tondo:


"Alex Gildzen, James Dean and the Vanilla Angel" Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Charles said...

That's an amazing friendship, 50 years!