07 June 2020

on my morning walk

my mind stuck on the barrels of photos on social media. people -- sans masks -- hugging in restaurants & laughing in bars. did I not get the memo that the pandemic was over? am I the last person in town still sheltering in place?

maybe the stats I read remain unknown to my fellow citizens. I understand the economy requires a reopening of businesses. but nothing requires me to act as anyone but me.

& as I walkd I felt buoyd by the strength of solitude. I began to see these 3 months of quarantine as a blessing. a chance to withdraw from the din & purpose oneself. I see myself more clearly & I see which friends are really friends.

& as I walkd Thoreau suddenly appeard to me. so when I got home I sat in Gertrude Duryea's rocker with a mug of java & read the beginning of Walden. I'd forgotten that he lived alone in the woods for 2 years & 2 months. but I cd see the value that comes with such a communion with oneself. & how life affirming are his words.

so I'm content with my decision to eschew the stampede to public outings. & I'm firm in rejecting the bullying I'm beginning to get for not responding to invitations to dine.  when Thoreau finishd his experiment & began his writing he reflectd: "At present I am a sojourner in civilized life again." at present I'm happy to be where I am.

at Walden Pond (1966)

6 comments:

richard lopez said...

i am right with you, alex. peace & love & stay safe

Tom Beckett said...

You're definitely taking the right path. The virus is far from done with us.

Alex Gildzen said...

Richard --
good to hear from you.

how's yr boy handling the lockdown?

Alex Gildzen said...

Tom --

hope you're well & thriving.

richard lopez said...

alex, nick is a great kid. he's holding up well. luckily for his generation who knows only digital life being online allows him to be with his friends. he does, he tells me, miss school, the social side of things, being with his friends, and so on. and yet, i can hear him in his room with his headset on and laughing loudly with his friends as they pursue another adventure in the online world.

we are far far far from done with this pandemic. i understand why people feel the need to relax and gather in groups. we are social creatures. but, i say, mask up, practice social distancing, and wash your hands!

as for me, i'm enjoying my hermitage. as long as i have a couple of streaming platforms, internet connectivity, and books, i'm a happy dude. i wish for you happiness too.

Alex Gildzen said...

glad Nick is coping. a longtime loner like myself has no problem with self-isolation but sometimes I worry abt the young who have never faced such.

all the best to you.....