30 March 2013

Bob Hover (1934-2013)

I just learnd of his death last month via a Facebook posting from Christopher Riordan.



I was probably only abt 12 or so when I discoverd physique magazines at a corner cigar store on Broad St.  I subscribd to a couple -- including Body Beautiful. they came in plain brown wrappers. I believe it was here that I first saw Hover.  he often posed in tandem with his buddy Richard Harrison.  I was smitten.




both men soon began appearing in small parts in films.  Hover was under contract to Warner Brothers.  he was in "Toward the Unknown" & "Lafayette Escadrille." later he became a top model. his acting career ended in soap operas.

for years I searchd online for those famous physique shots of Hover & Harrison together. in my memory they are forever linkd. some have finally begun to appear on various sites.  seeing them takes me back to my boyhood & a time of stirrings. I will always be thankful to both of these men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember him as Russ Matthews on "Another World", and many television commercials. One in particular was as a construction worker, for a product for muscle aches, w/a huge jack hammer, and was surprised that this "soap actor" was so muscular.